DID YOU KNOW ….
1. Ballet began about 500 years ago in Italy as a form of entertainment in the courts.
3. Women weren’t allowed to dance in public until 1681.
4. The word Ballet comes from the word “dance” in Latin.
5. There are four levels of dancers in a ballet company. At the bottom is the largest group, called the ‘corps de ballet’. Next are the ‘corphees’ who lead the corps de ballet and sometimes dance the smaller parts. Then there are the ‘soloists’ who dance alone. And at the top are the ‘principals’ who dance the lead roles.
6. A male dancer lifts over 1-1/2 tons worth of ballerinas during a performance. That’s like lifting 1,350 big bags of sugar!